Your couch is an important part of your home! After a long day of work, you get to come home, sit back, and relax on a comfortable and stylish piece of furniture.
However, if you are seeking to purchase a new couch, or just looking to upgrade yours, there are some things that you will want to keep in mind!
We believe that every home should have the perfect furniture! That’s why, here at White Oak Interiors, as Chicago interior designers, we have gathered some tips to assist you with purchasing a couch for your own home. If you are all set to discover some great insight, be sure to read on:
You will want to choose a couch that complements the size of your space, as you won’t want your sofa to impede the flow of traffic within your home. If you have a small space, a tight-back sofa with track or English arms would be best. The track or English style of arms allow the same seating space but reduce the length of the sofa! of However, for larger areas, a sectional would be an ideal choice. You should make yourself aware of the styles available, so that you can discover the perfect fit for your home.
- In addition, it’s also important to measure the openings of your doorways, stairways, and hallways, as you would want to purchase a beautiful piece of furniture and not be able to get it into your home. However, know that there are ways in which you can get furniture delivered into areas that are had to access, so you will certainly want to plan ahead before your delivery truck arrives! Also, know that purchasing furniture that comes apart in sections, such as sectional, will allow you to move pieces into your home with ease.
There are many different fabrics that couches showcase, each presenting its own appearance and texture. When choosing the fabric for your furniture, it will all come down to your personal preference.
- Leather is a wonderful option if you are seeking longevity. Yet, not all leathers are finished with protective coatings. More luxurious soft leathers usually do not have any coating applied to them. These buttery soft leathers may mark and show wear very easily. Please be certain you ask about the leather you select before making a major purchase. Also, leathers may show puncture marks and scratches from pets. You may enjoy and want the natural markings untreated leathers take on with normal use! However, you need to be aware of what you have selected. If you need help choosing the right type of leather for your lifestyle, White Oak Interiors can certainly assist you with doing so.
- If you would like to showcase a little texture, consider a fabric such as denim, linen or chenille! In addition, know that you can also utilize slipcovers, as a way to keep the appearance of your couch everchanging.
- Also, know that there is a new generation of fabrics referred to as “smart” or “power” fabrics that resist stains and dirt. Currently, most of these fabrics are in solid colorways, tone on tone colorways and tweed like colorways. However, know that new patterns are being developed for the smart or power fabrics daily!
- A good rule of thumb is to select fabric for your sofa that is a blended color wave that appears to be one color from the distance or tone on tone color waves. Couches and sectionals are usually the largest piece of upholstered furniture in a room. Typically, you would like to keep it more neutral. You may always dress your sofa with bright patterned pillows and throws for color and accent prints. Although, if your decor is very stylized, certainly do not be afraid of color or pattern!
Couches should last many years! Therefore, when choosing yours, you will want to select one that is of great quality. A good quality couch is often heavier because of its hardwood frame and eight-way hand tied coils. In addition, the legs should be part of the frame, and not screwed on. When it comes to quality upholstered pieces, you have a choice of firmness of the cushions. Back cushions may be loose, semi attached or tight. All are fine options depending on your style and preference. Also, the cushions should retain their shape when you sit down on them, without curving up, and you shouldn’t be able to feel the frame through the padding. In addition, know that quality sofas come in two seat depths. It is recommended to sit on both a standard and deeper seat depth to know which is the most comfortable for your body size and the way you relax on your sofa.
Discovering the perfect couch for your home is certainly of importance! These are just a few tips to assist you with selecting yours.
If you are all set to design your own home with an interior designer in Crystal Lake, Illinois, please contact us here at White Oak Interiors! We believe that every home should be designed to perfection, and would be pleased to ensure that yours is.
Photo Credit: H Photography